The following Ordnance Survey datasets are available to some registered users on the Defra Data Services Platform:
- 1:25,000 Scale Colour Raster
- 1:50,000 Scale Colour Raster
- AddressBase Premium
- Code Point
- Code Point with Polygons
- MasterMap Topography
- MasterMap Water Network
- VectorMap Local
- VectorMap District Backdrop Raster
- VectorMap District Colour Raster
If you download any of these datasets from the Data Services Platform, the exact licence for your use of them will vary as follows:
If you are registered on the Defra Data Services Platform as Defra-body Staff, your use of the data is covered by the “OS PSGA Licence”. Contact your licensing team for further details.
Environment Agency contractors and Partners
If you are registered on the Defra Data Services Platform as a Defra-body contractor, and you require the data to fulfil a contract with the Environment Agency,
If you are registered on the Defra Data Services Platform as a WFD/CaBA/IDB partner, and you require the data for work supports the achievement of the Environment Agency's statutory functions, these conditions apply:
Contractor & Co-Deliverer (including sharing OS data)
1. This Information may only be used by you either in accordance with conditions 2 and 3 or with condition 4 below and in either event in accordance with condition 5 below unless use is limited to use that is authorised by any statute or does not require a licence from us.
2. You may use the Information:
- for the purposes of a contract to do work for us, and
- for your internal use only in connection with that contract but this does not prevent you from passing it back to us or (subject to condition 2 below) to a subcontractor who complies with these conditions
3. This condition is applicable to contractor use as a result of the Information containing Ordnance Survey Data:
- You will not supply the Information to any third party (not even to a sub-contractor) unless we expressly and separately authorize this in writing as a variation of your licence.
- The restrictions and obligations in the OS PSGA Licence (see condition 4.5 below), shall apply to you including where applicable Appendix 3 thereof in relation to any Royal Mail data.
4.1. You must only use the Information in a way that we have confirmed in writing to you supports our statutory functions, and
4.2. One or more of the following conditions must also be complied with as a result of the Information containing Ordnance Survey Data:
- you have an Ordnance Survey Public Sector Use, Educational Use or Business Use licence for the same OS Data used and for the area of coverage as the Information and provide us with written confirmation of your eligibility under this paragraph, and/or
- you will use the Information only to enable you to correspond or otherwise interact with us in connection with our environmental functions, and use under this paragraph will be internal only unless both we and Ordnance Survey agree otherwise in writing. You agree that by using the Information under this paragraph you are accepting that the terms of this licence will also act as a click acceptance of a licence with us on the terms set out in the Ordnance Survey PSGA Licence “Public Sector End User Licence” whereby we are the Licensor, you are the End User the “Supplied Data” means the Information, and/or
- you are an emergency service, that is to say a person, body or entity involved in responding immediately to an emergency that is an unforeseen act or event beyond your reasonable control requiring you to respond urgently. You may use the Information only for the purposes of such response and provided that you advise us in writing within a month of the Information and geographical coverage you used, with the date and nature of the emergency and how the Information was needed.
5.1. “OS PSGA Licence” means the latest version of the Ordnance Survey Public Sector Geospatial Mapping Agreement Member Licence a copy of which is available on the Ordnance Survey website.
5.2. You must destroy all copies of the Information at the end of the contract or period of permitted use subject only to any retentions necessarily required by statute or otherwise by legal obligation or for archive purposes. This must be for the sole purpose of addressing a complaint or challenge from a regulator or the National Audit Office in relation to your use of the Information provided that such continued retention shall not continue beyond termination pursuant to condition 5.3 below
5.3. This licence shall terminate on 31/03/2030 or on earlier termination of our arrangement with Ordnance Survey. We will attempt to give you three months’ notice of such termination.
5.4. You agree, for the benefit of Ordnance Survey that they shall owe no liability to you whatsoever in relation to the Information.
5.5. If you make a supply of the Information to a third party in accordance with these conditions it must be only to a contractor or partner for the same purpose as our supply to you and you must make no charge that exceeds marginal costs of supply unless it is a statutory charge.
Partners and contractors of other Defra bodies
If you are registered on the Defra Data Services Platform as a Defra-body contractor or WFD/CaBA/IDB partner, and you require the downloaded data to fulfil a contract with a Defra body other than the Environment Agency, or if your work supports the achievement of this body’s statutory functions, then you must contact them to acquire a licence before the data can be used.
Please sign in to leave a comment
This article would benefit from an update to reflect the material additional flexibility introduced by the replacement of the PSMA by the PSGA in April 2020
This FAQ has been updated to reflect the changes.
Data Sharing & Access team